Gumbo & Chowder: Add ingredients – Set – & Go!
Lots of ingredients, but few preparation steps and a crock pot, make these recipes your go-tos for hearty, seafood soups this fall! So grab your warm crusty bread or crackers, and meet us at the table with a spoon!
Crockpot Seafood Chowder
by Steven Capodicasa©
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
24 oz. seafood stock, low sodium
1 stick butter
1 cup white wine
1 cup water
2 cups chopped clams
½ lb. peeled and deveined 21/26 shrimp, cut in half
1 lb. diced salmon with no skin
1 cob of fresh corn, peeled and slice off niblets and reserve cob
3-4 large redskin potatoes, diced small
2 carrots, peeled and diced small
2 celery stalk, diced small
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced small
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1-2 Tbls. corn starch
1-2 Tbls. water
- Add evaporated milk, seafood stock, white wine and water and corn cob to the crockpot and stir.
- Add corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- The last 30 minutes, combine corn starch and water (to form a slurry), add to crock pot and stir.
- Add in all the seafood, heavy cream and butter stirring to incorporate and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes. Remove corn cob and discard.
- Taste and adjust flavor with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with crusty sour dough bread.
Crock Pot Gumbo Recipe with Sausage, Chicken and Shrimp
by Steven Capodicasa©
1 lb. boneless and skinless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
1 lb. Kielbasa, cut into bite size pieces
1 lb. 21/26 shrimp, raw and shells removed
1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced small
1 green pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced small
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
3 ribs celery, diced small
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbls. Cajun spice
1 tsp. fresh Thyme
1 tsp. fresh Oregano
2 cups cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, except for the shrimp and the rice.
- Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours, stirring occasionally
- In last hour of cooking, add shrimp to the crock pot
- In the last half hour of cooking, add the rice and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread, and enjoy.
According to our Experts, here's What’s in Season in our Seafood Department.