Festive Seafood Stew
serves 8 – 1 cup servings
When you’re tired of turkey, here’s a one-pot dinner that is sure to impress and feed a whole crowd! And, it’s a diabetic- & heart-friendly and gluten-free recipe.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup diced red or yellow bell pepper
1 garlic clove minced
1 small shallot, minced
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup sliced chorizo
3 lbs. mussels, scrubbed and cleaned
½ lb. cockle or littleneck clams
¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (gluten free if needed)
1 cup white wine
½ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ lb. cod or haddock
cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup canned white beans, half of the liquid reserved
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
Black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, shallot, red-pepper flakes and chorizo.
- Cook until the shallot is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mussels, clams, chicken stock and wine and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until shells open.
- Remove mussels and clams, keeping liquid and chorizo in pan.
- Add shrimp, cod, white beans with reserved liquid and thyme.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are bright orange and cod is white and flaky.
- Remove lid. Return mussels and clams to saucepan. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Calories: 181; Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Sodium: 356mg; Carbohydrates: 10g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 23g
According to our Experts, here's What’s in Season in our Seafood Department.