Event Featured Recipe
Makes 16 bars
- 16 dried Calimyrna figs, stems removed
- ¾ cup calcium fortified orange juice
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. almond meal
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup plain soy milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine figs and orange juice over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, or until figs are soft. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer figs to a blender. Add 1/3 cup of the orange juice. Purée into a paste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, oats, almond meal, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and orange zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut oil, molasses, honey and soy milk. Add molasses mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread half of the flour mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread fig mixture over the flour mixture. Top with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into bars and store completely cooled bars in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: 1 bar Per Serving: Calories: 138 Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g
Values listed represent a nutritional analysis. There are natural variations that occur in all recipes; these figures may not be exact and are provided for informational purposes only.