Considering Adding Brussels Sprouts in Your Diet?
Chew on this:
Here are a dozen delicious ways to prepare and enjoy, Not-Your-Mother’s Brussels sprouts:
- Brussels Sprouts Chips – peel away single leaves of the sprouts and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Drizzle with olive oil and roast at 375` for 15 – 20 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Candied Brussels Sprouts – dust Brussels sprouts with olive oil, brown sugar and pinch of salt. Microwave for 5 minutes and serve hot.
- Honey Balsalmic Brussels Sprouts – preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Toss prepared sprouts (about 1 ½ pounds) with 2 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place sprouts on baking sheet to roast until tender, about 15 – 20 minutes. When tender and caramelized, place Brussels sprouts back in bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 teaspoons of honey and toss evenly.
- Add steamed Brussels sprouts to a favorite pasta recipe for added color and texture.
- Veggie Kabobs – marinate Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, and mushrooms in low-fat Italian dressing and thread onto skewers. Place on the grill for 4 minutes on each side or until sprouts are tender.
- Add chopped Brussels sprouts to a vegetable pot pie recipe.
- Add Brussels sprouts to stir-fries. They are delicious with sweet onions, carrots, and snow peas.
- Steam Brussels sprouts and coat with a mixture of vegetable broth and mustard. Or top steamed sprouts with lemon juice, salt, pepper and Feta cheese.
- Shake and bake! Place Brussels sprouts, olive oil, bread crumbs and a dash of salt and pepper in a large re-sealable plastic bag and shake to coat. Bake at 400°F for 30-45 minutes or until toasted.
- Add 1 cup of shaved Brussels sprouts to any salad, soup, or stew.
- Mix cooked Brussels sprouts with nuts (sliced almonds, walnuts, or pecans) and dried fruit (currants, raisins, or diced apricots).
- Season cooked Brussels sprouts – drizzle with olive or sesame oil and a squeeze of lemon juice; sprinkle a finely grated tangy cheese such as Parmesan or Pecorino; or garnish with basil, chives, parsley, or thyme.
Try these Gourmet Selections selected by our Dietitian!