Considering Adding Watermelon in Your Diet?
Chew on this:
Here are 10 Ways to Enjoy Watermelon:
- Juice it – at 92% water, watermelon juice is a perfect way to hydrate. scoop chunks of seedless watermelon flesh into a blender. Blend until it is totally pulverized, no more than a minute. Squeeze the juice of one small lime into the blender to taste and blend for a few seconds. If your watermelon is notably pulpy, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. If not, you can pour it directly into glasses filled with ice.
- Make Watermelon Lollipops – insert popsicle sticks into the watermelon rind for a fun take on watermelon slices. Pops can also be frozen for a chilly, refreshing treat.
- Make Watermelon Sherbet – cut 3 cups of seedless watermelon cubes and freeze solid. Using a food processor and working in batches, add ½ cup of vanilla yogurt. Process until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Serve immediately for a frozen yogurt/soft serve consistency. For a firmer consistency, freeze for 1 to 2 hours. This makes about 3 cups or 6 – ½ cup servings.
- Use in Smoothies – add watermelon cubes, Greek yogurt, strawberries, and a banana for a delicious watermelon smoothie.
- Grill it – place watermelon wedges on a preheated grill and cook about 2 minutes per side, until caramelized. Enjoy as is or drizzle with garlic chili sauce for a Thai flair. Serve as a side with ribs, chicken or shrimp.
- Make a Salad – mix salad greens, cubed watermelon, sliced onion and a bit of feta cheese in a bowl. Just before serving, toss salad mixture lightly with extra virgin olive oil, to taste.
- Kebab It – thread cubes of melon and other favorite fruit on skewers. Serve with a yogurt dip.
- Make a Salsa – mix melon with finely chopped red onion, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice for a fresh salsa that pairs well with seafood. See Event-Featured Recipe.
- Make an Appetizer – skewer a cube of watermelon, a basil leaf, a piece of feta cheese and another cube of watermelon on a decorative toothpick. Place Watermelon Feta Bites on balsamic drizzled serving dish.
- Make Pizza – slice a large round from a watermelon. Lay the watermelon round on a cutting board and top with banana slices, blueberries, coconut flakes and mint. Cut into wedges and enjoy this quick, healthy and fun snack.
Try these Gourmet Selections selected by our Dietitian!