Considering Adding Strawberries in Your Diet?
Chew on this:
10 Fresh Ideas to Enjoy Strawberries:
1. With Balsamic: Reduce balsamic in a sauce pan by bringing to a boil then simmering over low heat until it has a syrup consistency. Top low-fat frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries and finish with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
2. In a Salad: Add sliced berries to mixed greens along with chopped walnuts and a few tablespoons of gorgonzola cheese, then toss with a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Strawberry-Ade: Purée strawberries in a blender and pour into a pitcher with lemon juice, water and a touch of sugar. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
4. For Dessert: Top angel food cake with sliced berries and low-fat vanilla ice cream or yogurt.
5. In a Parfait: Make a parfait with low-fat frozen yogurt and sliced strawberries. Alternate in a tall glass and top with a strawberry.
6. Over Pancakes: Top waffles or pancakes with sliced strawberries and bananas for a fresh alternative to traditional syrup.
7. In a Smoothie: Freeze whole strawberries, grapes, and bananas. Blend with 100% orange juice, adding just enough to make a frozen purée. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve. Refreshing!
8. With turkey: Incorporate strawberries into a salad along with other fresh fruit, turkey and a mustard dressing.
9. In Ceviche: Dice fresh strawberries and add them to a shrimp ceviche with fresh vegetables, citrus juices and cilantro for a refreshing and light appetizer.
10. With Chocolate: Dip fresh berries in melted dark chocolate for a special treat.
Try these Gourmet Selections selected by our Dietitian!