Cheesy Jalapeño Cornbread with Honey Butter.
This recipe by Chef Steven serves 8-12 people. If you prefer, you can buy your cornbread from McCaffrey’s Bakery and just make and top with the below honey butter recipe! Shhh! We won’t tell!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 12 oz. Monterey Jack cheese grated, reserving 4 oz. for topping
- 4 oz. Gruyère, grated
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, reserving 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup seeded and minced fresh jalapeño peppers
- 1 stick softened butter
- 2 Tbsp. clover honey
- 1 tsp. your favorite hot sauce
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, agave or honey, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved.
- Mix in 8 oz. of Monterey Jack and 4 oz. of Gruyère, 1/2 cup scallions, cilantro and jalapeños.
- Using cooking spray, grease a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese and extra 1/4 cup chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry. Cool and cut into 12 pieces.
- For Honey Butter: combine all the ingredients to form a smooth consistency and chill.
- To serve; spread honey butter over the tops of the cornbread squares.
- Serve & enjoy!
According to our Experts, here’s What's in Season in our Bakery Department.