Gourmet Cheese 101
The Art of the Cheese Board
THE CHEESES –
Start by choosing the cheeses – variety is key.
- Blue cheeses are usually salty and sharp.
- Soft cheeses are creamy, mild and buttery and are usually spread on crackers or bread.
- Firm cheeses or hard cheeses are often pungent and pack a flavorful punch.
Choose four different cheeses, for example – a nice triple crème brie, Burrata, blue cheese and an aged gruyère. About 3 oz. of cheese per person total should be plenty for the cheese.
THE CHARCUTERIE –
Prosciutto, Soppressata, Salami and Pâté work well with cheeses. Seasonal varieties of these will make the most impact.
THE BREAD & CRACKERS –
A good thin sliced French baguette, breadsticks, sea salt crackers or any mild cracker are good additions.
Here is your opportunity to pick the seasonal summer fruits that will round out the flavors of your cheese board, including:
- with Brie – fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.
- with Blue – figs and sliced peaches.
- with Gruyère – fresh cherries.
- with Burrata – honeydew or grilled figs.
Also wrap prosciutto around pieces of ripe honeydew or cantaloupe for a fresh, summery treat. And, don’t forget some assorted nuts like cashews, almonds and candied nuts.According to our Experts, here’s What’s in Season this summer.