Grilled to Perfection.
After selecting your preferred individual chicken pieces, here are the next steps for perfect chicken:
- Remove any extra fat and loose or extra skin from the pieces, which helps to reduce flare-ups during grilling.
- Rinse off the pieces and pat them dry with a clean paper towel.
- Season the chicken – from a simple salt & pepper mix to a poultry rub or marinade. Work whatever type of seasoning you use into the meat along with the skin.
- Let the chicken come up to room temperature before placing it on the grill.
A clean grill is a must! So make sure you clean the grill before you start cooking.
- After cleaning, preheat your grill to 400ºF.
- Cooking over indirect heat will produce the juiciest chicken along with helping to keep flare-ups to a minimum.
- If possible, turn off one burner and cook the chicken over the section that is off.
- Start with the larger/thicker chicken pieces first.
- Rub a little veggie oil on the cleaned grill and place the larger pieces on the grill skin side down, close the lid and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining pieces and cook for another 10 minutes, then flip the pieces over, close the lid, and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- After the last 15 minutes, you can move the pieces over the direct heat to get the skin crispy.
Check for doneness by cutting into one of the larger pieces; it should be juicy with an internal temp of 165ºF! Remove the chicken from the grill, cover with foil, and let rest for about 10 minutes which will finish off cooking.
You are now ready to eat!
According to our Experts, here’s What’s in Season in our Meat Department.