Ask Our Expert
Q: Can you share some quick, breakfast ideas – for me and my kids?
Summer is winding down and fall is just around the corner. September is a perfect time to reboot into a healthy routine. Whether you are returning to work after a summer vacation or your kids are heading back to school, a healthy breakfast is an opportunity to start the day off on a positive note.
Time is at a premium early in the morning, so maximize your time and your efforts at breakfast:
- If your typical breakfast is cereal and milk, put the cereal boxes on the table along with the bowls, spoons and glasses the night before.
- If your family likes pancakes or cooked oatmeal, measure out the dry ingredients the night before and add the wet ingredients in the morning.
- Muffins can be a quick and easy breakfast. Make a large batch, freeze them and pull out of the freezer when needed. Simply warm them up in the microwave or toaster oven.
- Make a breakfast casserole the evening before and refrigerate. Pop it in the oven in the morning. Enjoy the leftovers the next day.
- Wrap up a quick scrambled egg in a whole wheat flour tortilla. Don’t forget to throw in any leftover vegetables into that egg!
- Sprinkle some cheese on a whole wheat flour tortilla. Microwave for 20 seconds. Enjoy with some fruit, some fruit juice or a glass of milk.
- Try peanut butter and banana sandwiches or an English muffin with hummus or avocado spread.
Have another Nutrition question? Ask our Dietitian.