Considering Adding Turkey Leftovers in Your Diet?
Chew on this:
Thanksgiving leftovers can be as overwhelming as they are delicious. It is always fun to enjoy traditional holiday leftovers. For some, it would not be Thanksgiving without biting into a hearty turkey sandwich, loaded with cranberry sauce and stuffing. While you may have recycled your leftovers in the past, check out these ideas and recipes for some new ways to transform your leftover turkey in to an exciting dish. These ideas and recipes are just a click away as they are all found on our website.
- Check out this Turkey Soup recipe loaded with everything healthy, including great northern beans, zucchini, carrots and celery. Simply cube leftover turkey to add into soup.
- With just a few staples from your pantry, including canned tomatoes and beans, you can make a delicious and hearty meal. Simply swap out the ground turkey in the Turkey Chili recipe for cubed cooked turkey. Add the turkey when the chili is nearly finished cooking, giving the turkey just enough cooking time to heat up. Serve the chili over rice or quinoa, or even serve over leftover sweet potatoes. Chili is also easy to freeze for future meals.
- Shepherd’s Pie is yet another easy and delicious one-pot meal. Use sweet potatoes or substitute mashed potatoes to top off your dish. This recipe calls for either ground turkey or chopped cooked turkey. Hello, Thanksgiving leftovers!
- Replace chicken with shredded leftover turkey in this Mini Chicken Nacho recipe . Serve turkey mixture over corn chips or use the filling in a standard corn taco shell or tortilla. And don’t forget all the delicious toppings!
- Check out the Chicken Nacho recipe for another fun dish. It is a perfect appetizer for football season. These delicious nachos are loaded with cheese, but not dripping in grease. Once again, swap out the leftover thanksgiving turkey for the chicken breast. Simply skip the first step in the recipe. Your leftover turkey just needs to be chopped, then added onto the corn chips with the other ingredients.
- Lighten up your plate with a delicious Cobb Salad. Simply substitute cubed turkey for the cubed chicken in this recipe.
- Substitute 4 cups of cubed turkey and swap out for the chicken in this easy Chicken Casserole recipe . This recipe is packed with flavor, plus it uses low fat sour cream and corn flakes for a healthy crunch.
- If you are looking for a pasta dish, switch out cubed turkey for chicken it this creamy bowtie pasta recipe made with ricotta cheese. Use whole grain pasta or sub in a whole grain like quinoa or farro in place of the pasta for a healthier twist.
- Use leftover thanksgiving turkey in this easy stew recipe that is full of Mexican flavors and lots of vegetables.
- This healthy chicken mole recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken – or turkey! Simply shred turkey and enjoy the rich flavors of chocolate, raisins and almonds that give the mole sauce a mellow flavor.
Try these Gourmet Selections selected by our Dietitian!