Ask Our Expert
Q: What’s the easiest way to make pumpkin seeds? My kids (and I) love them!
A: Roasting pumpkin seeds is a fairly simple process. Once you realize how easy it is, you will never throw out a pumpkin seed ever again!
- Seed the pumpkin – using a spoon, scrape the pulp and seeds out of the pumpkin into a bowl.
- . Clean the seeds – remove all of the stringy pulp. Rinse the seeds in a colander with cold water and shake to dry. Do not try to dry with a paper towel as this will only cause the seeds to stick.
- Dry the seeds – simply spread the seeds on a single layer on an oiled baking sheet and roast the seeds in a 300-degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Spice the Seeds – toss the seeds with olive oil. Add salt if desired, and continue roasting until crisp and golden, about 20 more minutes.
- if you like sweet, toss with cinnamon and sugar.
- for an Indian flare, toss with garam masala. Mix with currants after roasting.
- roast with smoked paprika and then mix with slivered almonds for a Spanish flavor.
- use grated cheese and dried oregano for an Italian tang.