Ask Our Expert
Q: I love hamburgers, but I’m trying to cut back on my red meat intake. Any ideas?
A: Yes! Lots of great ideas. You don’t have to give up your burgers this summer . . . or ever. But you can modify your burger recipe this season for variety, taste and health.Here are some ideas:
- In addition to beef, you can enjoy a ground chicken or turkey burger.
- Add grated vegetables, such as carrots or zucchini to your burger patties.
- Increase volume and fiber intake by adding chopped mushrooms or cooked lentils to your burgers.
- Try mixing in spinach and feta cheese into burger mixture for a Mediterranean flare.
- Include black beans and salsa in your ground beef for a Mexican burger.