May is National Strawberry Month and the perfect time to enjoy this sweet, refreshing treat. Strawberries are not only juicy and delicious, 1 cup of this delightful berry contains just 53 calories and is loaded with vitamin C. While strawberries are available all year round, take advantage of the season and put your best berry forward. Strawberries and spring go hand in hand. Read on to discover how to prepare and enjoy strawberries all year long.
10 Terrific Ways to Enjoy Strawberries:
- In Salad: Add sliced berries to mixed greens along with chopped walnuts and a few tablespoons of gorgonzola cheese, then toss with a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette.
- In a Drink: Purée strawberries in a blender and pour into a pitcher with lemon juice, water, and a touch of sugar. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
- For Dessert: Top angel food cake with sliced berries and low-fat vanilla ice cream or yogurt. Or try this Strawberry Shortcake Parfait.
- Over Pancakes: Top waffles or pancakes with sliced strawberries and bananas for a fresh alternative to traditional syrup.
- In a Smoothie: Enjoy a refreshing treat. Freeze whole strawberries, grapes, and bananas. Blend with 100% orange juice, adding just enough to make a frozen purée. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve.
- In a sandwich: Jazz up a Peanut Butter and Jelly by adding some sliced strawberries to an old favorite.
- In Kababs: Get excited about fruit with these fun, easy Fruit Kebabs with Yogurt Dip. Cinnamon and honey are the secret ingredients in this yummy fat-free treat.
- With Yogurt: Make a yogurt berry parfait. A delicious way to add a boost of calcium and healthy oats, almonds, and strawberries any time of day.
- In a Salsa: This fresh Avocado and Strawberry Salsa can be used as a dip with baked tortilla chips or as a topping for grilled fish.
- Everything is terrific with Chocolate: Enjoy Chocolate Covered Strawberries for a sprinkle of fun and a delicious treat.