Every vegetable deserves a time to shine and for the humble zucchini, that day is August 8th this year. Every inch of the summer squash is edible, from the skin and seeds to the zucchini blossom. With just about 20 calories per cup, 10 milligrams of sodium and 1 gram of fiber, zucchini is a modest, and often overlooked star of the produce department. Celebrate the versatility of this delicious summer squash, raw or cooked, and incorporate this healthy veggie into your diet all year long.
10 Quick Ways to Prepare Zucchini:
- For a Snack or Side: Snack on these tasty Baked Zucchini Sticks or serve these tasty faux fries with burgers.
- On the Grill: Zucchini is a welcome addition in this Grilled Chicken Kebab recipe.
- Zip into Zoodles: Spiralized Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Avocado Pesto will be a winner at the dinner table. Make your own zoodles with a spiralizer or buy premade zoodles available in the produce department at McCaffrey’s Market.
- In Baked Goods: Use shredded zucchini in baked goods like Zucchini Bread and Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. The vegetable adds subtle flavor, a punch of nutrition and delectable moisture to the baked goods.
- In a Salad: Zucchini is a refreshing ingredient or a healthy base for any vegetable, pasta or grain salad. Try this delicious Garbanzo Bean and Zucchini Salad or this Squash and Tomato Salad for starters.
- In Tomato Sauce: Shhhh! Add puréed or grated zucchini to pre-made spaghetti sauce. This little secret will improve the nutritional profile of your sauce…and your family will never know.
- Stuffed: Enjoy summery Greek Zucchini Boats for an easy vegetarian lunch or light dinner. Or add zucchini in this Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper recipe. If vegetarian is not your thing, the recipes are easy to modify. Chicken, meat or fish can easily be added.
- In Eggs: Try this Farmers’ Market Frittata any time of day for a high-protein meal packed with zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Add to Casseroles: Zucchini can be sliced lengthwise and used instead of noodles in a lasagna. But, any way you cut it, zucchini is an easy add-in to a casserole! Check out these Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups and this Vegetable Baked Ziti recipe for starters.
- Make Pancakes: Zucchini replaces potatoes in these flavorful latkes. Pair these fresh veggie pancakes with a tossed salad or enjoy as a side.