Orzo Salad with Grilled Vegetables
Makes 8, ½ cup servings
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons of fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon of salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper for vegetables
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small green zucchini, sliced
- ½ small yellow squash, sliced
- 2 small spears of fresh asparagus
- 1/3 medium eggplant, sliced
- ½ Yellow Pepper
- ½ Red Pepper
- ½ small red onion, peeled, sliced
- Cook orzo according to box directions. Set aside and cool.
- Prepare vegetables for grill, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To grill vegetables, set grill to medium-high heat. Place prepared vegetables on a grill mat or grill tray. Grill vegetables until tender and lightly charred. Some vegetables, like the zucchini and squash will cook more quickly than the peppers. ****Not everyone is a grill master! If you prefer, you can roast the vegetables. Chop vegetables, coat lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven at 425 degrees. Start checking to see if vegetables are tender after 15 minutes.
- Dice grilled vegetables once cool to touch.
- Mix vegetables and orzo.
- Add oil, lemon juice, Salt (optional) and pepper
Nutrition Information: 130 calories/serving 6 grams fat, 1gram saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 16 grams carbohydrate, < 1 gram fiber, 1 gram sugar and 3 grams protein