Beet and Kale Salad with Farro and Lemon Dressing
Serves 4 – 2 ½ cups each
- 1 large bunch of kale or 2 small bunches, torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups)
- 4 medium sized beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
Lemon Dressing – Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt (optional – not included in nutrition information)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Cook the farro according to package directions. This should take about 30 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, mix the dressing into the torn kale leaves. Set salad aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peeled and cut beets and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside until ready to use. (Be sure to use gloves when handling beets!)
- Once beets and farro have fully cooled, add them to the kale. Toss in the red onion and feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy.
* You can add walnuts or pumpkin seeds for another layer of flavor.
Nutrition Information: 310 calories, 18 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 250 milligrams sodium (without optional salt), 31 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber, 11 grams sugar, 9 grams protein