Sweet Potato Hummus
Makes 12 – ¼ Cup Servings
Use as a filling for a wrap with lettuce, tomato and sliced cucumbers or enjoy as a dip served with pita chips and fresh vegetables.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 – 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, no added salt, drained and rinsed. Reserve liquid.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap in foil if desired. Roast potatoes in preheated oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Once cooled, cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Combine garbanzo beans and olive oil in a food processor or blender until somewhat smooth.
- Add scooped out flesh from sweet potato to bean mixture. Pulse to combine.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, white pepper and salt if desired. Blend until smooth, adding reserved garbanzo bean liquid as needed to create a smooth, creamy texture.
Nutritional Information: 100 calories, 4 grams fat, .5 gram saturated fat, 70 milligrams sodium, 13 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein