Event Featured Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup
This mellow butternut squash soup is a great way to start off dinner, or warm up on a chilly night. Make it ahead of time and reheat before serving.
Ingredients2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large sweet onions, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (gluten free if needed)
1/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt (gluten free if needed), optional
2 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the carrot, celery, butternut squash, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return to saucepan and reheat over low heat before serving. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: about 1 cup recipe makes 8 servings Per Serving: Calories: 115, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 435mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 5
Values listed represent a nutritional analysis. There are natural variations that occur in all recipes; these figures may not be exact and are provided for informational purposes only.