Slow Cooker Turkey Quinoa Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
Serves 6 – serving size 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper * (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large) peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup uncooked
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 ounces)
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high.
- Add the turkey, onion, salt (optional), garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up the turkey as you go, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder (optional), and cumin, then transfer to the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, chicken or vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, and black beans. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is too thick.
- Serve warm. Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
*Smoked paprika will provide a similar earthy smoke as chipotle powder.
Nutrition information: Calories: 440 calories; Fat: 11 grams; Saturated fat: 2.5 grams; Cholesterol: 55 grams; Sodium: 760 milligrams; Carbohydrate: 58 grams; Fiber: 12 grams; Protein: 28 grams
Values listed represent a statistical nutritional analysis. There are natural variations that occur in all recipes; these figures may not be exact and are provided for informational purposes only.